Wednesday 15 May 2013

"Aquatic Apes" and "Thinking Frog"

Most scientists think humans evolved from apes who, on starting to live on grassland away from trees, developed our upright gait and other features. But apparently this theory does not explain all our evolutionary developments: 

"Humans are very different from other apes," said Peter Rhys Evans, an organiser of Human Evolution: Past, Present and Future. "We lack fur, walk upright, have big brains and subcutaneous fat and have a descended larynx, a feature common among aquatic animals but not apes."

So there is an alternative theory, supported even by David Attenborough,  that we are descended from 'aquatic apes'.

However, this theory describes apes that waded in deep water (therefore needing to be upright) not apes that swam. So I can't claim that swimming is something I've evolved to do! But other implications of the theory might apply, for example in our brain chemistry:

"Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 fatty acid that is found in large amounts in seafood," said Dr Michael Crawford, of Imperial College London. "It boosts brain growth in mammals................... The crucial point is that without a high DHA diet from seafood we could not have developed our big brains. We got smart from eating fish and living in water."

A friend of mine (Vicky) has commented on my post 'That thing they call the wall' via email, saying 

"If you accept that the mind and body have to learn to work in concert for the perfect breaststroke, does it really help to beat up on them on those days when they don’t?"

My first reaction is to say 'don't worry: the extreme wussiness comments are somewhat hyperbolic!' But being occasionally given to depression I appreciate her concern. Of more immediate help though is this: 

"linking it to yoga principles again; sessions start with noticing how the mind and how the body feel that day, and accepting it."

Because she also links it to the need learners and coaches have to 'acknowledge the baggage of their day' before they can start the learning process. 

Thankfully recently I have gone into the pool with a very focussed attitude. Yesterday's swim has produced more of those enjoyably virtuous aches in both legs and arms, a heaviness of limb and sleepiness noticeable  when trying to force a double duvet into its clean cover last night. I alternated two lengths of breast-stroke ('thinking frog' as per my friend's more detailed advice) with two lengths of back stroke. 

Attempting to engage the aquatic ape's larger brain to get the back stroke right (a sort of flick of the wrist backwards to level your hand as it enters the water?), I endure several bumped wrists and another bump to the head before I also remember to keep an eye on how close to the end of the length I am. 

On leaving the pool I also discover another benefit of the aquatic ape theory. Another woman getting out at the same time commented: 'oooh, you feel the cold when you get out, don't you?' 

Um, well, no, actually. My exertions have raised my body temperature considerably and it's all being insulated by that layer of sub-cutaneous fat I evolved! I'm positively glowing!

Perhaps she's descended from land apes?

However you think you may have evolved, if you've enjoyed today's blog, please send a cheque to:

Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL

made out to Forest Read Easy Deal. 

With our thanks

Catherine



1 comment:

  1. Got it, frog then ape, frog then ape. I'll let you know how I get on next time!

    ReplyDelete