Thursday 16 May 2013

Banned substances

Paracetamol.

Apparently competitive athletes aren't allowed it. But though I love the 'good aches' as they tell me I'm strengthening and stretching my muscles, extending my lung capacity and my stamina in a way that is useful for many parts of life, still to be aching and heavy limbed when I haven't actually swum for two days does make me realise what I'm going to be putting myself through in that final week of swimming.


More to the point, the overtired tetchiness that sometimes comes with it is not enjoyable. So paracetamol it is. I'm not in it for gold medals, I'm in it for the money! For FRED!  Talking of which, have you sent a cheque made out to Forest Read Easy Deal to


Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL


yet?


And as my husband keeps trying to remind me - it's a marathon, not a sprint!  Go easy, girl. 


I completely forgot to tell you that I tried front-crawl last time. I managed all of a third of a length before gaspingly and spaced-out in my head I reverted to breast-stroke for the rest. I must try to remember my friend Gail's advice and the recommendation from swimming.org:


"Front crawl doesn't have to be a splash and a dash stroke to the wall - swim longer and use your energy more efficiently by using a long and smooth rhythm"


It'll be hard to break those ingrained habits though. I once went swimming with the Venture Scouts as a teenager. Widths across the middle of the pool - not for fun or enjoyment, or improving technique. Oh no, it had to be competitive. 


But not being strong of arm and leg nor replete with natural stamina, while others rested I was still finishing. Without any rest  I had to turn round and go back again & again & again & again. I left the pool that night feeling humiliated and glowering with resentment.


Notice I say 'with' the Venture Scouts. Technically I was one, too and joined in horrible  (though possibly 'character-building'?) experiences like the White Peak Walk.


"20 miles isn't far, Catherine" said a friend of my sister's. 


It is when you've never walked that far before, rarely walked with a full pack on your back, when you are in a mixed team and the boys are striding on ahead and therefore navigating and therefore it turns into 25 miles..... Oh, & it's your period and you're in pain and the boy who was supposed to have brought the first aid kit (with the paracetamol) hadn't but the supervisors still let us go out anyway because he'd showed them his lunch box! 


For information: the White Peak Walk is described as: A strenuous challenge walk in the Peak National Park following the most rugged parts of the Peak and passing via Rowsley, Birchover, Youlgreave, Monyash, Flagg, Taddington and Great Longstone.


I only really started to develop any stamina & strength after having my children. They were both quite hefty and grew at a tremendous rate - forced progressive resistance weight training!


But yes, Ventures was another example of being on the outside looking in, and of not quite 'getting it'. I joined for something to do, because my lovely older sister suggested it. But I still had that sense of tagging along with her friends, of not really doing it of my own dynamic choosing & volition. 


It is this need for FRED learners to come to us because they themselves want to, that is so important in how well they will succeed. 


Some of our referring agencies misunderstand this importance: Job Centres and those contracting services from them, for example. 


If a learner feels they have to come 'or else', that internal motivation is not as strong. Resentment or other conflicting emotions (being made to face the humiliating possibility of failure yet again?) can dilute it and are not helpful additions to what can already be a challenging and vulnerable situation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment