Friday 10 May 2013

Calmly does it.....


It's like learning to drive. I was nearly ready to put in for my test, when someone went into the back of the car as we came off a roundabout. Bang! The next time we went out, I'd become a very timid driver again, not confident, tensed up and definitely not enjoying it.

So my instructor decided he'd just take me out along quiet country lanes and out to the coast (I learnt in Newcastle upon Tyne) for a lesson or two. And that did the trick.

So recently I've just gone for business-like but satisfyingly enjoyable swims. Mostly breaststroke with a couple of backstroke lengths thrown in today.

No butterfly. I'm not saying never........ I just need to get my confidence and my calm and the fun back.

Mind you, (& this might be cheating on the 'learning only by reading' front!) I did see someone doing butterfly in the pool today and they seemed to be raising their shoulders quite high out of the water. That might give me a bit longer to take a breath in between strokes, which might mean I get less exhausted.......?

I mostly seem to be doing what swimming.org suggests for backstroke - there's just a little bit I'm going to have to work on:

'Don't immediately pull with your hand after it enters the water - this will create resistance. 

Instead, turn your palm so it is facing the bottom of the pool and scull your hand outwards and downwards until it reaches a position in a line between your upper chest and shoulders with your elbow bent.

At this point rotate your hand again so your palm is facing towards your feet, then push through the water until your arm is fully flexed by the thigh.' 

I can't quite work this out yet - I might try it out on dry land first. I haven't been aware of any resistance though.

FRED's coaches learn to become as sensitive to their learner's needs as my driving instructor was to mine. Sometimes our learners arrive at a session with the 'baggage' of their day still clutched tightly to their chests (as does happen with us all from time to time). Good coaches recognise that real learning can't take place until that baggage has been acknowledged at the very least. Once acknowledged, everyone can take a breath and turn towards the business of reading.

If you recognise the skill that these coaches offer freely to those who need it, then please take a moment to send a cheque made out to Forest Read Easy Deal, to:


Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL

and thank you for helping us continue our work

Catherine



No comments:

Post a Comment