Monday 15 April 2013

Back in the pool....Well, that was a bit tougher!

No nice blissfully empty pool now. Being term time, during the early-bird session, half the pool is hired by a swimming coach and the other half  is split into two lanes. One for the slow swimmers and one for the medium. 

What! Decisions at this time in the morning? 

To complicate matters further one lane goes anti-clockwise, the other clockwise. The signage is at one end of the pool only, and as mentioned previously, without my glasses it's all a bit of a guess. 

Starting in the slow lane I quickly find myself queueing, so dip under the barrier and label myself  medium. The first length is fine but I can't swim without a gnawing sense of someone creeping up behind me. Think Jaws: duh duh, duh duh music. Still, it pushes me to try to improve my efficiency and I vaguely remember that if I position my feet at right angles to my legs and push harder I do create more momentum. 

I  don't know if there is anyone out there reading this but I really do need your advice if you are. Too much breast stroke and my lower back aches. Suggestions? Also, I know I'm supposed not to mind putting my face under the water, but what angle should my neck be at? Does it matter?

Four lengths on I gaspingly retreat back to the slow lane and recover by sculling a couple of lengths on my back before returning to breast stroke. Going the wrong way.... 



If you're enjoying this blog please consider donating to FRED by sending a cheque for Forest Read Easy Deal to: 

Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL

Many thanks

Catherine

4 comments:

  1. Have you got an old pair of glasses to wear? I do - I'd be in the same boat otherwise. Too old to stumble into the men's changing room by accident (not that I'd see much anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and try to keep neck in line with spine --- so you'd be looking down.
    I mostly do backstroke (having to keep looking over shoulder) It's slower than breast so I end up in the slow lane too, but it seems to have toned me up anyway. Really wish I could so front crawl - can see who you're coming up to better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.swimming.org/swimfit/swimfit-tips/simplify-your-front-crawl/11654/

      Delete
  3. You swim - wearing your glasses?!

    Reminds me of that story Dad used to tell: swimming in the sea as a small boy, he returned to his mum and asked for a sandwich - only to receive a clout for his cheek.....it wasn't granny he'd sat down beside. He's swum in glasses ever since, hasn't he?

    ReplyDelete