Friday 19 April 2013

That'll teach me.....

....to get ahead of myself. 

When I announced yesterday that I'd signed up for 'The Big Splash' on swimming.org, I did of course mean that I was about to do it. 


When I got back from work & settled down to do so, guess what? That was last year's initiative, riding on the back of the Olympics. Scanning the pages, I hadn't noticed a date - it's quite small and not on every page. But I had seen what appeared to be a still 'live' sign-up form, which was what made me assume I was on safe ground. A little disappointing, but it does just go to show ....... you can't believe all you read (or at least, think you've read). See - reading - there's that link again!


My apologies.


More swimming advice coming in, though not always in the comments to this blog (I think Google tries to make you sign up for a Google profile before you can, which I know is putting some people off).


My friend Gail writes (at speed, knowing Gail): 


"don;t breath under water and don't drown! Seriously, thought, the important thing is to keep your breathing regular and not "gasping" so that your muscles stay oxygenated. Smooth, slow long strokes are better than short fast ones. Relax into the swimming is the key."

I think that's good. Even a little meditational, perhaps. I did try to get a little meditational during my baseline assessment swim but had to stop. Accidentally snorting water up your nose is not comfortable.  Obviously I need to perfect my technique on that too. 


Bless Gail, she then went on to write: "Good luck. When does this all take place and what is it in aid of? i cannot open the attachemnt you sent me for some reason". 


So she sent the advice without even being aware of the sweetener on offer. 

Gail & Steve live in Spain and they rent out the apartment under their house. They have a pool (for all that swimming), a hot tub and fabulous views towards the mountains and the Mediterranean. You drive through orange groves to get there. When we stayed two years ago we all shared an amazing paella they persuade a local restaurant to do for them takeaway-style. 

Enjoy!

- and if you do, please consider sending a cheque to Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL, made out to Forest Read Easy Deal.

Thank you 

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment