Saturday 13 April 2013

So who is this FRED, anyway - where did you meet him?

FRED's not a 'him', it's an 'it'. Though actually it all started with a 'her'.  For those of you who compile lists, I keep a mental one of inspiring woman. And Julie Carthy Julie Carthy is on it. 

When we first met she'd only lived in the Forest of Dean six months. Having got settled, it was time, she thought, to start some voluntary work. Adult literacy work was what she knew, and discovering there was a local need for support, she got off her bottom and started a charity. And that's the bit that inspired me. She just decided to do something that counted. I'd never knowingly met anyone who'd done that before.

How's all that related to swimming? Well, when I said in the last post that I got the hang of breast-stroke, what I really mean is that my arms pull me through the water. My legs make feeble flapping attempts to copy but don't achieve very much. 

Can I prove that you can change your life (or in this case your swimming technique) purely through applying what you read in words? Which, oddly, means I can't get help from the book I've just borrowed from the library, because it's got diagrams  and that won't count for this experiment. So now I challenge you: send me a tip (no YouTube videos or photographs, please - it's all got to be written down in words, maybe in a comment box below?) and if it works for me, I promise to give a shameless on-line mention / link to any cause or business you wish (excepting partisan political groups, or those promoting violence, hatred or discrimination).

If you, like Julie & I, have discovered the value of 'getting off your bottom', then plese consider sending a cheque to: Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL, made out to Forest Read Easy Deal. Thank you.

Next post: I get back in the pool

2 comments:

  1. From the times I try breast stroke Though it gets my neck and my lower back), having the courage to go well underwater with my head when the arms are moving forward and to lift my head and shoulders well out of the water when pulling the arms back seems to help. So almost lifting the head and shoulders out of the water simply by pushing down and back on the water with the hands.

    As for the legs, concentrate on getting them to close. Think about your two inner ankle bones trying to meet ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting & I will try - just always feel that the bobbing up and down so much might reduce speed overall - less forward motion maybe?

    ReplyDelete