Monday 22 April 2013

Breaststroke - I'm sensing an improvement!

Straight in at the deep end today, no messing, and I'm instantly trying to put into practice the idea of putting my face under the water as my arms go forward. 

I feel I'm going faster, though whether it's the technique or the determination I'm not sure. The idea of alternating the push of the legs with the pull of the arms so that there's always something 'propelling' me forwards seems to be what I naturally do. I stop worrying about that and try to increase the productivity of my leg movements by pulling my heels up to my bottom before pushing them outwards. 


My lower back starts to ache again and I can't seem to remember the head in the water part at the same time as I concentrate on my legs. After five and a half lengths, I breathlessly turn onto my back to rest & scull while trying to work it through in my mind.


According to the swimming.org advice, in breaststroke most of the propulsion comes from the legs. This is the exact opposite of my own experience, so when I turn back over I make sure I'm holding onto my core muscles firmly (core - around the abdomen), to support the power going through the legs. 


A breakthrough comes when I start to breathe out in bubbles as my face goes into the water. I remember to look at the floor of the pool (or at least my head is angled that way - my eyes are shut) and every time I feel I'm gasping too hard I remember Gail's advice: 'Smooth, slow long strokes are better than short fast ones. Relax into the swimming is the key.'


Relaxing is also the key for many of our FRED learners. They vary in their reading ability when they arrive with us but one thing they all have in common is a lack of confidence about their abilities. 


The free one to one coaching our volunteers provide, means the learners can go at their own pace in a supportive environment, at a mutually acceptable time and place. Little & often, like with the swimming, for 20-30 minutes two or three times a week. We take them all right back to the beginning of learning to read, which helps them (& us) discover what their personal 'tricky' bits are, and support them to practice and relax until they too can manage things more smoothly.


Time for a couple of reminders: 

If you're enjoying this blog please consider donating to FRED (www.forestreadeasydeal.org.uk) by sending a cheque for Forest Read Easy Deal to: 

Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL

and also - don't forget to send me your swimming tips, & I'll advertise your cause / business on the blog.

Many thanks

Catherine









No comments:

Post a Comment