Tuesday 16 April 2013

Two cautionary tales and a gold medal

A huge thank you to the fabulous Millbrook Academy who have agreed to let me do my swim for free. What stars!

Some good aches this morning. I'm not sure what the muscles down the sides of my upper back just under my arms and down to the bottom of my rib cage are called (anyone?) but I definitely stretched those yesterday. Which leads me to the cautionary tales which I read (see there's a link already) in the 'i' newspaper. Firstly, Andrew Marr, whose work I tend to like a lot, is recovering from a stroke. His words: 'beware being too enthusiastic on rowing machines.'


In another report, 'Man, 23, dies during marathon'. I'm long past 23, in the prime of my middle years, in fact. Still...... But then, quite coincidentally, I came home to find the report from the doctor about my  five year health screening. Apparently my risk score for developing heart disease, kidney disease, stroke &/or diabetes in 10 years is only 1.3%. I think I can keep going.


And when I looked at the sports reports for swimming and found that British open water swimmer  
Daniel Fogg had just won a gold medal at the swimming World Cup in Mexico, for the 4th leg of the 10km Marathon, not only did I think - Wow! Well done, Dan! I also thought - aha!

Because what better place to go for advice about swimming than the national association: Swimming.org ? I'll let you know what I find tomorrow, but just for starters, Dan's advice is: 'Have a dream, keep working hard and it will happen'. 


Let's hope so for the sake of FRED's learners!


Talking of whom, if you'd like to help some of them achieve their dream of improving their reading ability, you might like to send a cheque to Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL, made out to Forest Read Easy Deal.


With many thanks


Catherine








4 comments:

  1. Well done Cath - really impressed and had a fun time reading this through. Just by doing this you'll reduce your risk even more - I'm sure Sarah would agree! Keep at it. Cheque in post (almost ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the description, would say that you had stretched your intercostal muscles, which expand your ribcage prior to breathing in. Not quite certain how you managed it though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was possibly the side stroke I did. I always quite enjoyed side stroke but it doesn't seem to be mentioned on swimming.org. Perhaps it's not a real stroke? Perhaps I made it up. Surely not? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete