Thursday 11 April 2013

Thought I'd better do a baseline assessment of my ability & fitness!

So I made myself sit up when the alarm went at 6.45 on the first day of the Easter holiday. Grabbed my costume and dragged myself into it, jeans and hoodie over the top, got in the car and drove to Brockworth. Not too chilly in the changing rooms, thankfully. Evidence of only one other person. 

I showered and went through and hit the usual problem. Having taken off my glasses I couldn't read the clock. The attendant informed it was already 7.30 and that the early bird session finished at 8. Better get going then. The water temperature was fine & I was the only one in the pool at first - bliss. 

One of my earliest swimming related memories (& my first personal goal setting memory - though I didn't call it that at the age of five!) is of wanting to master breast stroke. For some reason, having been taught to swim front crawl and back stroke, breast stroke seemed exotic but I couldn't get the hang of it. I made myself do it over and over again, every time we went, until it was second nature. These days it's so ingrained that front crawl is the one I struggle with and have to make myself do. So today, gentle breast stroke for two lengths to warm up. 

I had some neck problems a few years ago and was advised to do some daily exercises; I've added new ones since on a vaguely home-made Pilates-inspired basis. That is, inspired by what I've heard about Joseph Pilates - that he was interned during the war and developed exercises that he could do in the small spaces available to him, in the time available to him and that by first clenching the stomach muscles before every movement, the effectiveness of the exercise was increased and the body became stronger. It certainly works for me, not being one for gyms. Cardiovascular-wise, I do nothing on a regular basis. My younger sister, a doctor, is always dropping gentle hints - her latest, received today, shows how well she knows how to motivate me: 

"I'll send a cheque  - which week is it you are doing it? Might even send another if you keep it up and swim once a week til the end of the year....?"

So, arm twisted then!

Results of the baseline assessment: 13 lengths a day could be too easy. I managed 22 fairly leisurely, steady ones in the half hour. My new challenge then, is to swim 20 x 25m lengths, every day for five days over the May Half Term holiday. For those of you who don't work in schools nor have children attending, that's the week beginning Monday 27th May 2013. 

If you'd like to twist my arm too, you can do so by sending a donation to: 

Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL, 

made out to Forest Read Easy Deal.

Many thanks

Catherine




No comments:

Post a Comment