Wednesday 10 April 2013

In the beginning....

It all started with my post on Facebook: 

"Contemplating doing a sponsored swim in aid of the charitable organisation FRED which supports adults in the Forest of Dean who want to improve their reading & literacy generally and of which I am the soon to be outgoing Chair. Would a mile over the course of 5 days be good enough, do you think? That's 13 lengths a day and I haven't swum regularly for about two years? Would you support me? If so, it'll probably be in May half term and I'll set up a JustGiving page. Let me know."

I got an overwhelming 'yes'.


It turns out that to do a  Just Giving or similar page, the charity you want to help has to be registered either with the Charity Commission or with HMRC. Since FRED is only a small charity we can't do the first and didn't know about the second. So while we investigate the second, I'm going to be doing this the old fashioned way, with paper, email, and (hopefully) cheque books!


For example, a cheque made out to Forest Read Easy Deal and sent to: 

Frank Rainer, Treasurer, Oaklands, George Road, Yorkley, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4TL

could go towards buying another copy of our main coaching resource, Yes we can read.

With our thanks

Catherine


No comments:

Post a Comment